Monday, December 21, 2009

The great Hand Washing Dilema - 12/21/2009

I have spent most of my adult life in commercial kitchens. I have trained, I have cajoled, I have disciplined staff and managers, and one of the biggest problems I continue to see is the lack of hand washing. Gloves are effective barriers, but far too often the glove is seen as a protection of the hands rather than a protection of the food. The law that gloves must be worn has been effectively drilled in, but the quality of the results vary greatly. I have witnessed (and I am sure I am not alone)an employee wear their gloves into the restroom and then attempt to return to work with the same glove on their hands.

Part of the problem with hand washing is the abuse repeated hand washing does to the hands. If it is a dry climate and winter, the problem is only exacerbated. I have queried and put out posts for help in finding a solution. I have talked with the chemical companies. I have received responses from all over the world. Is there not a food safe barrier that can be applied to the hands which will resist the caustic qualities of repeated washing and the drying quality of talc in the gloves?

No comments:

Post a Comment